Cerium Oxide is an oxide of cerium, a rare earth metal. Cerium oxide is also commonly known as ceric oxide, cerium dioxide or ceria. The oxide is a pale white-yellow powder, and its chemical compound is CeO2
Cerium Oxide ‘s Main Applications.
Cerium Oxide is primarily used as a glass polishing powder.
Cerium oxide is an essential component of phosphors and glass polishing powders used in screens, camera lens, fluorescent lamps, ophthalmic glasses, crystal glasses, mirrors, decorative glasses, bevelling, flat glasses and any other type of glassware. Cerium oxide has a long history as a glass polishing agent – it has been used for the past six decades, and has been proven to be an effective polishing agent.
During the process of polishing glasses, cerium oxide reacts with the glass surface to produce a cerium-oxygen-silicon compound which is softer than glass, and is therefore easier to work with to produce the final polished surface.
Due to the fact that cerium oxide is transparent for visible light, it has high capability to absorb ultraviolet radiation. Due to its lower photo catalytic activity, cerium oxide can therefore potentially replace titanium dioxide and zinc oxide in sunscreens. In this application, it is important to reduce the oxide’s thermal catalytic properties and this is normally done by coating the particles with boron nitride or amorphous silica.
Cerium Oxide is used in automobile applications as a catalyst in catalytic converters.
The oxide has the ability to add or remove oxygen in the combustion engines. When used with other catalysts, cerium oxide can reduce the emissions of harmful gases such as carbon monoxide.
Cerium Oxide has a wide range of other commercial applications.
PT Nuansa Kimia Sejati has several years’ worth of experience manufacturing and supplying high quality cerium Oxide polishing powder for all types of glassware. We are one of the leading manufacturers of cerium oxide powder in Indonesia.
Our products’ quality is top notch and our prices are competitive. Contact us today – we look forward to providing you with exceptional customer service and products that meet your requirements.
To learn more about our cerium Oxide Polishing Powder’s specification as below:
Form : powder
Color: white creamy
Particle size : 1 – 2 Micron
CeO2/REO : >72%
Opthalmic glass, camera lens, Crystal glass, mirror, flat glass, bevelling, decorative glass, glassware, CRT, LCD, PDP, Discs, and photomasks
How to use:
You will need:
- some cerium oxide powder for the polishing
- a polishing pad (suggest lambs wool, felt or leather) mounted on a backing disc
- low speed drill (1500 rpm or less) to use with the polishing pad – polishing too fast will generate excessive heat and may crack the glass.
- a marking crayon to mark the inside of the glass (use this to guide you when polishing)
- a cleaning cloth to wipe and allow inspection of the work area
- small spray bottle – use to apply mixture to glass and keep moist while polishing
How to Polish
- Mix some polish into water to a form a thin slurry (eg. milk-like consistency) – we suggest mixing in a small spray bottle which can be used to apply to polishing pad
- Clean glass thoroughly to remove all traces of dirt and grease
- Apply polish mixture to the polishing pad
- Mark the inside of the glass with the crayon to identify the area to be worked
- Mount pad in the drill and apply to work area.
- Move pad up and down, left and right in work area.
- Keep the surface wet to prevent glass getting hot – if sufficient polish has already been applied, then just spray a fine mist of water to keep the area cool.
- Wipe off residue and inspect repair – keep working until polish is satisfactory
- Wash and store pad for later use
IMPORTANT – do NOT let the glass get too hot while buffing – keep cool by spraying with water and keep the buffing pad moving continuously.
More information could be accessed to cerium oxide wiki